With demand in Media and Journalism, a lot of institutes have come up with various undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the field. Admission to these programmes across institutes is through an entrance exam, which differ from institute to institute and mostly consists of language, aptitude, and general knowledge. Careers360 lists top media entrance exams with their exam pattern and a few preparation tips to support the test aspirants.
Majority of the institutions, offering media and journalism programmes, are either government-run, industry-driven or private institutions. All these institutes conduct their own university level entrance tests and shortlist candidates based on their performance in the test. Although, there is not much difference in the preparation strategy or the exam pattern, but it is best to learn the tips to be better prepared. Before moving ahead with the preparation tips, let us first check some of the top media and journalism entrance exams and their exam pattern.
Top Media Exams and Pattern
IIMC Entrance exam
May 28, 2017
Journalism Hindi/English (9 am to 11 am),
Radio & TV Journalism (12 noon to 2 pm) and
Advertising & Public Relations (3 pm to 5 pm)
Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Delhi
Topics- Language, Aptitude and Analytical
JMI Mass Communication Entrance exam
Sunday, April 30, 2017 from 10:00 am - 01:00 pm
Jamia Millia Islamia
Part-A Objective/Multiple Choice Questions
Part-B Subjective/Descriptive/ Theory
ACJ Entrance exam
May 14 ( 9.30 am to 11.30 and 12 pm to 1.30 pm)
Asian College of Journalism, Chennai
Part A- English Language Skills
Part B- General Knowledge, Current Affairs, Other
Xavier Institute of Communications Online Entrance Test
From April 23, 2017 (Sunday) till May 15, 2017 (Monday), across different centres
Xavier Institute Of Communications
St Xavier’s Bachelor of Mass Media Entrance Test
June 2, 2017
St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
Two hours duration
Subjective and Objective
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test
Saturday, April 29 from 3 pm to 5:30 pm
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
Two hours thirty minutes
FTII Entrance Exam
March 26, 2017
Film and Television Institute of India, Pune
1. Focus on General Knowledge or Current Affairs: Vinayak Kudva, an expert from a coaching institute, regarding GK says, “General Awareness is a very vast area, so one must follow top stories. Candidates should start enhancing their general awareness full-time by reading newspapers and magazines.” Apparently, the entire media entrance test consists of this section, so it goes without a say that this is the section to focus on.
2. Practice for Subjective or Essay writing: Some of the tests, listed above, have both objective and subjective parts. Subjective section mostly consists of writing an essay. Candidates need to develop good writing skills to crack this part of the test, as they will be evaluated on their language skills, thought process etc. Having a fair knowledge of the contemporary topics will give candidates an edge. So reading newspapers, especially the editorial columns, is highly advised.
3. Reasoning or Analytical skills: Practice is the one and only way to crack this section. Basic reasoning and analytical skills are tested in this section. Candidates are suggested to solve approximately 20 reasoning questions every day to learn the concepts and tricks.
4. English Comprehension: This section mostly consists of basic grammar, reading passages, fill in the blanks, correction of phrases, etc. It is suggested to update them on basic grammar to crack the English section in the entrance tests.
5. Focus on exclusive areas like Media Aptitude: Apart from the common sections, there might be an exclusive section like Media aptitude for which candidates must prepare separately. This section tests candidate’s aptitude and understanding towards media. Candidates can refer to online material to prepare for this section.
Once the entrance exam have been conducted by the institutes, results are declared and the final selection process starts. The final selection is done on the combined performance in the written as well as interviews.
Get real-time alerts on exam & colleges at your fingertips with Careers360 App! Click Here to Install or Give a missed call on 08080944727 to get app link.
For more information on Media and Journalism, visit www.media.careers360.com
First of all congrats to your percentaile.But you didn't got chance to join in Jmi i.e Jamia Millia University in cs . About your percentaile it is seen that your approximate rank is nearly about 175,540 to 175,555. This is not about the cs branch but also other branch,if you belong to muslim category also .In your rank you should try your state college or university.you should try in april month exam also.
According to rough estimation your general rank will be in range of 185k, if not more than 9 lakh students appear in april session else it will be much worse.
Last year the closing rank for your category in JMI was 76657 for civil engineering. So, it seema you have very low chances for getting it. So, reappear in april and get better score.
All the best
Hi Megha Hada,
The Eligibility criteria set by the college for admission in MA with social work is 55% in graduation from any affiliated board.
Eligible candidates need to appear for the Entrance Test conducted by the university.And then the merit list will be made on the basis of marks obtained in the entrance test.
Sorry to say Megha but you are not eligible for the Entrance Test.
Hope this will help,please feel free to ask if you have any further queries.
You have got 89.8 percentile that means your rank should be around 88639. You can also calculate your rank as
If you are muslimMfrom general category you have very low chance if you belong from category you have slight chance. You can predict your college here
Hope it helps.
The exam date for JMI BA LLB exam will be in the second week of June 2020. The applications will start in the second week of March 2020 and last till the last week of April 2020. Admit cards will be released in the month of June 2020.
For more information related to JMI BA LLB and its important dates, click on the link given below:
Hope this addresses.
Your JMI brochure has been successfully mailed to your registered email id .
The Question containing Inaapropriate or Abusive Words
Question lacks the basic details making it difficult to answer
Topic Tagged to the Question are not relevant to Question
Question drives traffic to external sites for promotional or commercial purposes
The Question is not relevant to User
Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile